Our climate and biosphere are now universally recognised to be in crisis, as this chart* of 1000 years of ice core and 50 years of atmospheric data starkly shows.
The equinoxes in March and September are here to help. If they are adopted as official Earth Days, they can become action rallying points for us all. This is how it will work:
We will take an audit and make resolutions each equinox, whether as an individual/household, community or business, with tailored online resources. Biannual Resolution Cards will become a six-monthly habit, reinforced with targets, games and challenges, accelerating our journey to a sustainable post-carbon future.
In this way Earth Days can be reimagined as accessible, exciting and relevant, with new innovations regularly added. And equinoxes are uniquely fit-for-purpose as Earth Days…
TWO DEFINING QUALITIES
- Universal. As planet events, equinoxes are beyond human-scale. Equinoxes are true planet days
- Equal under the Sun. 12 hours night and day (equi-nox) everywhere: twin moments of shared destiny every year. Equinoxes are equality days
FOUR MORE SPECIAL ASSETS
- Biannual. Actions and audits every six months; equinoxes are accelerators
- Logical. Earth Days by definition gives a logical basis for our responses. Equinoxes clarify
- Global and Local. Planet events link us all to the Bigger Picture. The “we can make a difference” effect. Equinoxes empower
- Inclusive and Neutral. Zoom out beyond all forms of boundary and sense our global citizenship. Equinoxes connect
BROAD APPEAL, TURBO-CHARGED
This means equinoxes can reach out to…everyone! Radical actions – Greta Thunberg, youth climate strikes, Extinction Rebellion – are changing the political ground-rules for environmentalism fast. But the “Attenborough effect” of nature documentaries is also changing popular attitudes worldwide. Harnessed equinoxes should have that wide appeal too, and turbo-charge the concept of “we all can do our bit” – including ‘bottom up’ initiatives of new ideas.
EQUINOXES AS EARTH DAYS, SPRING & AUTUMN
SPRING INTO ACTION
TURN OVER A NEW LEAF
A Resolution Card committing us to accelerating change in our lives
Environmental & energy audits harmonised to late March and September
Biannual (summer-winter) targets set
Challenges, projects, links, celebrations – every equinox
* data from CO2.earth
©Martin Nelson 28th November 2019